Friday 29 January 2016

Dismaland:















27.09.15
 'Today the universe smiled

Banksy's Dismaland was one of the best experiences of my life and the day I went ended up being one of the best days of my life so far! I traveled down to Exeter on the Megabus the day before (which took 8 hours eww) to go stay with Courtney. We got up early, extremely hungover from the night before (of which I remember very little, haha oops!) and caught the train to Western Super Mare where we stood in line for hours. Tickets were only £3 but were extremely difficult to get so we were left to wait in the non-ticket queue. We arrived a little later than we had intended but it was a glorious day and the queue was on a grassy area by the sea so we decided to make the most of it, got some ciders and a puzzle book and chilled out. We though, even if we didn't get in we could say we tried. (THIS IS WHERE THE MAGIC HAPPENS!)

So we are chilling in this line, minding our own business, drinking and doing a crossword in the sun, and this guy in a luminous jacket comes up to us. His badge says he works for the council and he asks where we are from, Courtney says she is from America and he replies with something along the lines of 'yeah I though I heard your accent'. He then looks us up and down and tells us that, unfortunately, it is very unlikely that at this point in the queue we are going to get into the park (which broke my heart) but immediately followed this by asking if we really did want to go to Dismaland. Obviously, we both answer with a very enthusiastic YES! and so, very seriously, he asks us to step out of the line. It probably only lasted a moment, but at that point every possible consequence of following this instruction passed through my mind: Are we in trouble? where are we going? have we done something wrong? if we leave and come back will the people next to us let us back in the queue? why does he need us to step to one side? Who is this guy??? Me and Courtney look at each other and then step to one side, we didn't really have anything to lose. (THIS IS WHERE IT GETS CRAZY!) Once a decent distance from the side of the line this random, yet official looking man, tells us that two people have been unable to attend and have asked that their tickets be given to someone who was unable to get a ticket. From what we gather this guy had been walking up and down the line looking for someone who he thought would be suitable... and had chosen us! It blows my mind that we had to be exactly where we were exactly as we were for this to have happen! I don't think I believe in fate but this made me question my whole understanding of the universe! He told us that the only condition was we had to write to the people and thank them for their tickets. of course we were more than happy to oblige! 

As he lead us down the length of the very long queue to the park he chit-chated with us. There was a moment where he asked if we recognized him, we said we were sorry but we didn't, and that's when I realized there was a strong possibility that we were a small part of something that was probably much bigger than we were: 'Oh, I'm the guy who everyone thinks is Banksy'. I can remember vividly the way he said it, casually but with a hit of pride and the hint of someone who wanted to fuck with our heads (which it did!). He lead us to the front of the non-ticket queue AND the front of the ticket queue, who were waiting to be let in at 2pm, and past the security checking bags (who attempted to stop us but were completely ignored by our mysterious guide) and straight to the entrance of the park. It all happens so fast as soon as we entered Dismland we stepped to the side to discuss what had just happen. Neither of us could believe our luck! It was such a Banksy turn of events (if that makes sense!) choosing two random people, one who was from across the world (which we think is significant as he seemed to approach us after hearing Courtney's voice - thank god shes so loud haha!) and then allowing these people into the park without security checking them, all with what seemed like very little authority. 

We talked about the man, our fairy god mother, who had bestowed such an incredible gift to us! This opportunity held such special meaning for both of us and it seemed like destiny. I very rarely feel like I am exactly where I need to be but that day I felt a harmony with the universe. I, as an art student, and Courtney, as an American going on behalf of her friends back home unable to make the trip, felt so lucky and honored. We were not only happy to be there and have gone, but, perhaps, appreciated the experience on a deeper level than others might have.. 

Theories:
- Was he Banksy? no, probably not, but I could believe that Banksy would be mates with the person who everyone thinks he is haha
- Who were the people who gave up their tickets and why did they give such specific instructions? were they real people? was it Banksy? was it other artists who could not attend? would we be writing thank you letters to amazing contemporary? - note the international addresses, perhaps they are a couple of the artists who are not allowed in the country again?
- Why US??? because Courtney was from america? no there were lots of international people in the queue, including the people right next to us! Was it because we were having fun? most people looked board and tiered but we were drinking, talking and deeply involved in our puzzles, maybe we were the first two people who looked ready for a fun time. 

After a few minuets of discussing these events and theories we were finally ready to look around and embrace where we were. The park felt more like a festival than a art exhibition. We were there for hours and so we able to experience most of what the park had to offer: we went on the rides, we went into the gallery spaces, we ate falafel and drank beer. I would attempt to describe and analyse what the park was and everything it represented, but I don't think I will ever have enough words to describe how much I enjoyed it and how much it has shaped me as both an artist and a person. 

We stayed until closing, just as the sun was setting, and we made our way to the sea so that Courtney could dip her feet in the water (a ritual she likes to maintain). The tide had been out when we entered the park but now it was in and a reasonable walking distance from the promenade. We talked to a couple on the beach who were unable to go and told them what it had been like, letting them flick through our exhibition catalogs. After paddling for a while we wandered barefoot along the beach, to a cafe/fish and chip shop on the promenade. From there, we watched the sunset, drinking cocktails, eating fish and chips and listening to the live band. I felt so alive, in-touch with everything around me and so full of pure happiness. We joked that today had been very romantic and we had just been on the perfect date, but it was true! I was also overjoyed that me and Courtney were able to share this experience with each other as I think we both understood how important it was to the other person, meaning our excitement was not judged, but shared! If I had been with anyone else the experience would not have been as special. I do not think I have ever experienced a perfect day until then x 

We caught the train home and continued to play with our puzzle book until we finally got back to Courtney's in Exeter, where a cup of tea was very appreciated :) 

Before I lost my camera I had hundreds of pictured and I spent most of the day taking photos :( ...but luckely so did Courtney! All photo credit to Courtney Quinn :) x 

No comments:

Post a Comment