Sunday 21 June 2015







11.06.15

I have never been to Gibraltar but Richard has always expressed his love for it. Granddad was pretty eager to take me and so we got up at 6am to go on a coach trip. I slept most of the journey, which meant I missed driving through the lovely mountainous Spanish countryside however I woke just in time to see us approaching Gibraltar which was an acceptable trade. As you approach the boarder
It was very strange going through the boarder – it was like I had come all the way to Spain Just to go back to Britain again!

One through the border we changed over from the coach onto a mini bus which drove us all around the town as the driver gave us bits of information about the history and culture of Gibraltar. We then drove up the mountain so we could look over the town and enter one of the caves. Me and Jim love a good cave, and this one was spectacular, however it all felt a bit too much like a tourist gimmick. It was lit with changing multi-coloured lights and music was playing, giving the the same vibe as a bar or nightclub! I can understand why this would seem like a good idea but the whole thing seemed to take away from the natural beauty of the rock formations.

After leaving the cave we had a chance to see the monkeys! The monkeys are quite important in Gibraltar as it is said that when the monkeys leave so will the British. I think it is safe to say the British will still be around for a while as the monkeys seemed very much at home! I got some grate photos and I loved watching the animals going about there own business and wandering about as well as when they caused mischief with tourists. Highlight: watching two monkeys fighting on top of a bus over an anonymous hat.

We were dropped off at the bottom and had bout three hours to wander about. It was so odd to see pound signs everywhere and shops like TopShop and Morrisons. We ate our packed lunches and headed to a café for tea and cake. Granddad then popped to the supermarket to get some foodstuffs you cant get in Spain (like decent cheese!) while I went back to the pick up point with Jim and Val.
We were back home by 6pm and once again I slept for most of the journey. Getting through customs took ages and I think that is what pushed my tiredness over the edge. When we got home we relaxed until bed time and got an early night. Not doing much tomorrow so no need for an early start. 

No comments:

Post a Comment